Here is a recipe for making a really simple Kimchi:
- 2 cabbages
3 cup of salt
- 2 heads of garlic
- Half a head of ginger
- Half a bunch of shallots
- 1 onion
- Shrimp paste
- 3 table spoons of fish sauce
- 2/3 of a cup of glutinous rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups of chilli powder
Make salty water and pour it onto the chopped cabbages.
2. Leave it for 5 hours at least, to dehydrate the cabbages.
(This process is very important for the texture of the Kimchi. Salting and dehydrating the cabbage makes it crunchy.)
Crush the peeled garlic, onion and ginger together. (It is very smelly.^^)
4. Boil 3 cups of water. Dissolve the rice
flour in a little cold water and pour it into the boiling water. This is called rice flour water and is used to decrease the
5. Wash the salted cabbages in cold water if they are too salty - taste to test this. Drain the cabbages.
Put all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix them together.
Now you can have fresh, delicious Kimchi. James loves
fresh kimchi with Sesame oil and vinegar. The taste is quite nice. But remember, Kimchi is a kind of preserved food. If you
want to add extra sesame oil, don’t put it into the main container with all of the Kimchi. If you did, it would all
go yucky after few days. ^^